Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Circle Back and other Ignorant Sayings

I hate the jargon that is so prevalent in the business world. Kudos to those of you who are either ignorant or too wise to use such mindless bable, viv-a-vis "Circle-Back." Years ago, when I was breaking into the biz, I was at a conference to oversee the technical production of our company's booth and hospitality suite. It was then, I grew to hate the term circle back....and to this day I cringe when I hear it. We had this very, very highly paid consultant to help us push our catapult our company to success. I spent a lot of time that week as a fly on the wall as she (and others) gave pitches and sales calls in our hospitality suite. This lady never actually did anything or answered any questions. Everything was "I'll circle back with you.". She also ended every meeting with "let's circle back." Fine, fine but when are you going to DO SOMETHING? I bet I heard that phrase 100 times in just three days. It irritated the heck out of me! She was let go a few months later for not really getting the things done she needed...But not until we spent $400k. Now, I'd like to circle back and get that kind of cash for a part time gig where all I did was say circle back, circle back.

Other phrases I hate are circle the wagons, kudos, bifurcate, vis-a-vis, bells and whistles, low hanging fruit, soup to nuts, big cheese, take-a-ways, and the big dog. I'm taking a stand. No more meaningless business jargon until further notice. If something changes, I'll circle back.

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2004 at 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Draw a line in the sand"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home